Saturday, December 09, 2006

Bow Day!

After last night’s success, the Maestro went in for a cello lesson this morning. Hildr and I stayed home, ostensibly so she could take a nap, which of course she didn’t. About an hour later, the Maestro walked into the kitchen wearing Carolyn (the cello) as a backpack. He took it off, faced it towards me and said “Guess what is in my cello case, Dad!” I could just see the tip of the bow sticking out of the holder, and he was very excited to show me.

He immediately got out his cello, set up his stool, and sat down to play. He wanted more Rosin, so Riley found some for him, and he carefully slid it up and down the bow-hair. He reminded me a little of a warrior sharpening a sword. It was all concentration and care.

Apparently, the rule is that he gets to play free-form for two minutes after having his bow-hold checked. He learned the hold pretty well on the practice bow, but the real bow is shaped differently, it is heavier, and he is exerting pressure on it. All of that is going to make it quite a different matter to maintain a proper hold.

So, he was sitting there, sawing away with a look of absolute concentration, like he was performing for the world. I asked him if he would play “Tuck-a Tuck-a Stop Stop” for me. He stopped, looked at me and said, “Don’t say that. You don’t like ‘Tuck-a Tuck-a Stop Stop’. It isn’t fun anymore.” Then he went back to Carnegie Hall in his mind. Oh. Right. I forgot.

Aside from the short quick bowing (Tremolo), he was showing good gentle Spiccato, bouncing the bow off the strings, and occasionally he would get the string to spin, pulling on it with a long draw. He did most of his play on the C-string, the one closest to his bow hand, but a few times he lifted his elbow beautifully to play one of the other strings.

One thing that is difficult for me is that I don’t know how to guide him. I found myself wanting to correct him, like telling him to hold Carolyn tighter between his knees when she starts to slip. I am not home most of the time he will play, so this is more of a problem for Riley, and I think she will have a better idea of when to intervene that I do. A couple of times this morning he stopped, looked at me as if to say “Dad, you are cramping my style” and went back to what he was doing.

He needed to stop for a snack briefly; then I went to work. I will be interested in finding out how much time they spend with Carolyn and Pablo out today. I expect he will be interested in giving me a concert when I get home later.

No comments: