Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Review, Review, Review

9-20-06 – Lesson 6

Today was a fabulous review day. We didn’t focus on much that was new today; rather, we reviewed and solidified many previously taught activities. The Suzuki approach is unique in the amount of time that is devoted to regular review, and I’ve seen nothing but good come out of it.

I had a student in Bonn (we’ll call her Allison) who was taught much like The Maestro, and started at about the same age. She is now twelve and is in Suzuki Book 5. She reviews every other song each day (odds in each book one day, evens in each book the next day). She starts with Twinkle and ends wherever she is currently studying. By then she is plenty warmed up and is ready for serious practice. If you think about it, by doing this review she has practiced every technique she has previously learned so nothing can be forgotten.

One day in a group lesson I decided to give Allison a challenge. I asked her to perform Allegro Moderato from Book 3 on the spot, without forewarning. The other students looked at me as if I were an evil woman. Allison, however, smiled and went to it. Although I ask for review pieces in lessons, I hadn’t heard her play this piece for over a year. Nevertheless, she played all the way through, without stops, with all the correct dynamics plus a few of her own. Everyone was sufficiently impressed, but I decided to really drill the importance of review into everyone’s minds and hearts. So I asked another student to pick any song from Books 1-5 for Allison to play. She played this piece for us. And then another request, and another, and another. She performed five pieces that her classmates requested, making I believe only one note error in all (which she immediately fixed). How many young musicians can accomplish this? I think anyone who reviews has the capability.

The human brain and body need time to register all that is learned. In Teaching with the brain in mind, Jensen (1988) suggests that it is best for teachers to allow students time to process information, rather than pushing forward before they are ready. It appeared that The Maestro was in a processing state today. He performed impressively on previously learned activities, but didn’t seem ready for anything new. I tried to push a few times but it didn’t seem prudent. It is exciting to see his greeting and farewell bow so strong. This is the first thing he learned and the repetition has paid off. It is exciting to think of the day when Twinkle is as automatic for him. Or when Brahms is as automatic for him. Heck, when Prokofiev is as automatic for him - let’s think big and let The Maestro decide where he wants to go.

The bow hand is coming along. He does grip a little too tightly but will relax with reminders. He’s really excited about that practice bow. I’m still unsure about how his aural skills are coming along. He obviously has the sensitivity to sound but I think he’ll need some harnessing on what to do with the pitches. I’m wondering if he doesn’t know what to look for when we play the “eh?” game. Is a scratchy sound wrong, in other words? I need to have Riley think of some ways to help him with the copy game when I’m not there to play another cello. Or just to simply get him to repeat the right amount of notes. I’ll ponder, too.

T.C., who I think is the world’s greatest Suzuki cello teacher, was in Elwood City a couple of weeks ago. I wish I had known. Not too much of a sad thing because she lives in Metropolis. I’d love to go up and see her, with or without The Maestro, and get some more ideas.

Today The Maestro passed off: 4a, (7a is coming but not quite there), (I need to do more “brain gym” with 8a – note to self), 10a (he did this plenty on Sunday, not singing but it’s good). He should focus on audiating a note (“sing an a” or simply “sing the same note I’m singing” – maybe Dad can join in on this too since it doesn’t require any knowledge of the lesson. I wonder if Hildr could sing notes sung to her?). The Maestro should continue reviewing everything, and focusing on 4b, 5b, and 6b especially (I do rocket song instead of Autumn song).

No comments: