Saturday, September 16, 2006

Wolf Tones

9-16-06 – Lesson 5 – is this really #5?

Before the lesson began, The Maestro told me he wanted to know more about the wolf tone. I told him we would do this once we learned the cello handshake. At this he turned into a kitty. I had to wonder if that’s because of my poor presentation last time of the cello handshake. Riley managed to encourage him to become a boy again rather than have to go home. It was obvious to me that The Maestro was fighting the “inner kitty” in order to stay for a lesson. We started with a few focused stares. He was great for two tries, but then, after some wiggling and a few small meows, it became apparent that it was time to move on.

I asked for The Maestro’s right hand. He gave me his left. I corrected him and taught him the cello handshake (supinated, relaxed, resting in my right hand, with a slight sideways rock from me in order to relax his shoulder). Then I brought out the practice bow. He was at first very excited but then mentioned something about his bow being under my bed. His parents apparently told him, to pacify his worries about his bow, that I was keeping it safe. I assured him that it was very safe. Then I taught him how to hold the pretend bow. Riley cautioned me in an email that he might struggle with this a little. What I saw was quite normal for a 3 year old. It is possible that The Maestro is so quick with other things, especially aural skills, that it might appear he is slow here when actually he is normal. But that is an assessment from one experience on my part, and I’m sure there is more to this story than I am aware of. I will keep an eye out for it and teach accordingly.

The Maestro then said he would like to bring out Carolyn. I didn’t realize that he wanted to do this in order to use the practice bow until the cello was out. I told him that he can “air-bow” above the strings but that the pretend bow could hurt the strings. I sensed some disappointment from him but he was a good sport about it. He really seems to have faith that I will eventually get him where he needs to be if he stays at my speed and does things that might not make sense to him now. I would guess that he’s getting that reinforcement at home from his parents.

We did a little of the copy game. After everything else his attention span was pretty well run out. I then showed him the wolf – I guess I should say I played the wolf for him. It was too loud today; he covered his ears and started to cry. I felt horrible but kept my composure. Riley reassured him. In her reassurance she mentioned that they should have asked for an explanation rather than a demonstration. She told me that he has a fascination with it although it makes him uncomfortable. I thought to myself that this is human – else why would horror movies be so popular? Oh dear… Anyway, I quickly explained that a wolf was created when a cello loves one note too much and sings it too loudly. Very basic but good for The Maestro’s needs, I hope.

The Maestro was again a good sport and came back in the room for a bow. He did great, again (like last week) speaking loudly and clearly. After the lesson we went in the front room, where we looked at the fish and then played with mini Chester. It’s fun to see his motions on the toy instrument become more “cellistic” each week.
Today The Maestro passed off the following: 12a cello handshake, 14a recognizing high/low. We didn’t do fast/slow or loud/soft, but I would be extremely surprised if he struggles with either of these concepts. At home this week they will be practicing 12a cello handshake,1b bunny face, 2b “air-bowing” Twinkle variation A rhythm, 3b setting bow hold (The Maestro might freak at the 100 times – we’d better find a better way of saying this to him), plus reviewing ALL the past steps. We can’t forget the importance of review and repetition.

Gary’s research talks again and again about the importance of singing before playing. I need some divine intervention here on how to get him to sing. Perhaps he is afraid that it won’t come out the way he hears it in his head, so he might not want to take the risk. I’ll ponder this one. I wonder if Riley sings to him regularly? Does Elwood? Do they sing as a family in the car, for instance?

No comments: