Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Things left to do



Here is "Wrists-Crossed" Rest position. I think that he should be able to pass this off soon. He has demonstrated this to enough other friends, that he should be able to do it for the Teacher. Granted, she IS a rock-star, so you never know. Last night we were up late and had a practice. He was doing things well until we decided to practice showing the Teacher something. I was the Teacher and He and Riley came to see me on Campus. I said "Hello Maestro. I'm so glad you came to see me!" and he immediately fell to the ground and started meowing. Eh?!

I guess he wanted it to be a realistic role-play.









Here is an alternate view of that rest position. If it weren't for the replacement door in the back-ground, this picture could be a CD cover someday.






















Hands on Knees Rest position.

























This is the proper Pizzicato technique. He is very good at this. He isn't as good at plucking each string three times in a row and stopping. It's a concern about following instructions.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the cello teachers out there: Wrists crossed should actually be lower on the fingerboard so that his left hand is at or beyond thumb position. However, the Maestro learned this stance during his first rocky spell, and I was so delighted to see him give an effort (actually performing in lessons as a boy instead of a kitty) that I weighed the motivational factors and decided it wasn’t worth showing him the alternate at this point. We will get him moving around the cello in a few weeks with knuckle knocks and ski jumps. I believe it is most important to keep him loving the cello right now, and crossing wrists on the shoulder vs. the fingerboard won’t have any dramatic effects down the road on his left hand position. Now the bow hold is another issue: that needs to be learned correctly from the beginning. I hope he will be patient with himself. Riley has some great motivational ideas.